Beautiful weather arrives and you can finally enjoy your beautiful outdoor space. Unfortunately, you have unwanted guests, and those pesky mosquitoes, gnats, and house flies threaten to ruin your evening...
We have good news! Did you know there are several things you can do to make your yard less attractive to bugs? See our tips below.
How to Safeguard Your Outdoor Space From Bugs
- Swap white lights with yellow ones. Research shows bugs are less attracted to orange or yellowish tinted lights than they are to bright white ones.
- Grow herbs for protection and cooking! Did you know Rosemary and garlic repel insects that bite? Also, lemongrass and chives help deter annoying bugs from flying into your zen zone. And don't forget to be strategic with your flowers. Marigolds help keep away bees and wasps.
- Keep your patio clean. Make sure you clean up after every meal and gathering. Sweep up the crumbs and clean the tables with a disinfectant, not just warm water. Keep your outdoor space tidy for fewer bugs.
- Place lavender or eucalyptus essential oils around the perimeter. Essential oils can be an effective and natural way to deter pests.
- Burn citronella candles. The tried and true shines again. Citronella candles are a great way to ward off biting insects. Finding a non-toxic option is even better. Our mosquito repellent candle, Bug Be Gone, is blended with non-toxic citronella orange fragrance oil that smells incredible and works.
- Spritz the furniture with mint mouthwash. It sounds funny, but the combination of ingredients in the mouthwash works like a charm.
- Clear standing water from the area. If you have any standing water, mosquitoes and other insects will lay their eggs in it, turning your yard into a bug breeding ground. After a rain shower, walk around your patio/yard and ensure nothing is collecting water.
There you have it! Those are simple, easy, and non-toxic ways to keep bugs away so you can enjoy your backyard.
Surround Yourself With Like-Minded People
If you enjoy laughing, tips on practicing self-care while managing your busy life, and candles, we invite you to join our Candle Family. We host monthly challenges and game nights and regularly post in our private Facebook group Bella Vida Family. Join our family today and be surrounded by supportive, positive people in 2022!